Its Saturday and Amanda and I are wrapping ourselves in jeans, sweaters, boots and scarves, knowing the cool, crisp air will be downright cold once we head out for a day on bikes. Amanda’s mom, Missy (who arrived from Tallahassee yesterday), digs through a suitcase full of bathing suits, colorful tops, capris and sandals until she finds the one, lone sweater in her suitcase. If she’s irritated by the optimistic weather report she got just four days ago, she graciously hides it. After all, it’s a gorgeous and sunny weekend, nevermind the fact that its downright cold outside. So much for my endless Mediterranean summer. The weekend is a blast. In fact, it gets me even more excited about my own mother’s visit, which is coming up in just 3 days!! A big thanks to Missy for reminding me of some important tips when traveling with mom:
1) A perfect fried egg makes a great breakfast.
2) Sometimes shopping is more fun than a museum.
3) In answer to the question How’d you sleep?, “I was in and out” is mom for “Like crap”.
4) Letting someone else make decisions is part of the fun of vacation.
5) Some destinations are better reached by metro than by bike. Taxis are also good.
6) Pictures are more fun with people in them.
7) Long walks are fun, as long as you’re not trying to get somewhere.
8) Even red wine spills don’t have to be fatal.
9) Sometimes, southern charm really can melt the heart of a cranky European. (Sometimes, but not all the time.)
10) Moms care more about seeing their daughters than the Top Ten Things on the inside flap of a guidebook.
Thanks again, Missy. I hope the rest of your trip is fantastic! Please eat a Double Texas for me, and don't forget -- It ain't over 'til its over!!